Forum Title: keep door, replace the jambs
greetings, I hope i can explain my situation clearly enough to get the proper advise. I purchased an old house (about 70 years old) and after removing the door moulding to put up new drywall i notice my door jambs arent attached to any type of framing (the moulding is holding the door frame in place) and the door jamb where the striker plate sits is cracked. the existing door jambs sits about 3 inches from the nearest stud on either side and about the same, maybe 4 inches on the top. the existing door is roughly 37 1/2 x 87 1/2 after comparing them to doors at lowes it seems its larger then a standard size so im assuming the door jamb is a custom made one. what I would like to do is to keep the existing door and replace the exsiting door jamb, i know i will need to do some framing but do they sell kits that come with the needed materials that will allow me to replace the existing jamb with a new one? if not what would you suggest to do? i apperciate any advice
Category: Windows & Doors Post By: LAURA D (Fresno, CA), 01/13/2019

Look in the phone book for a local locksmith or hardware dealer. They should be able to help you.

- WENDY VARGAS (Canton, OH), 02/28/2019

oops typo, i meant the door jamb size is that, not the door. the door is 35 1/2 x 83 1/2 ill take some pics tonite and post them

- IAN GRIFFITH (Vacaville, CA), 03/05/2019

here are pictures of my door hope someone can point me in the right direction

- MICHEAL GARRETT (Baldwin Park, CA), 03/05/2019

Support & Resources For Homeowners

requestaquote Get Free Quotes callnow 888-506-9527